Day 350: Who is Lord of Your Life? (Psalm 144:1–8, Revelation 7:1–17, Malachi 2:17–4:6)

Day 350: Who is Lord of Your Life? (Psalm 144:1–8, Revelation 7:1–17, Malachi 2:17–4:6): Psalm 144:1–8 Psalm 144 Of David.   1 Praise be to the Lord my Rock,    who trains my hands for war,    my fingers for battle.   2 He is my loving God and my fortress,    my stronghold and my deliverer,   my shield, in whom I take refuge,    who subdues peoples under me.   3 Lord, what are human beings that you care for them,    mere mortals that you think of them?   4 They are like a breath;    their days are like a fleeting shadow.   5 Part your heavens, Lord, and come down;    touch the mountains, so that they smoke.   6 Send forth lightning and scatter the enemy;    shoot your arrows and rout them.   7 Reach down your hand from on high;    deliver me and rescue me   from the mighty waters,    from the hands of foreigners   8 whose mouths are full of lies,    whose right hands are deceitful. Psalm Commentary Jesus – the Lord who has come down from heaven What battles are you fighting in your life? Temptation? Anxiety? Fear? Depression? Financial battles? Health battles? Work or relationship battles? This psalm is a plea for help before battle. The original context was probably a physical battle. However, through the lens of the New Testament, we can see it in terms of a 

Psalm 144:1–8

Psalm 144

Of David.

  1 Praise be to the Lord my Rock,
   who trains my hands for war,
   my fingers for battle.
  2 He is my loving God and my fortress,
   my stronghold and my deliverer,
  my shield, in whom I take refuge,
   who subdues peoples under me.

  3 Lord, what are human beings that you care for them,
   mere mortals that you think of them?
  4 They are like a breath;
   their days are like a fleeting shadow.

  5 Part your heavens, Lord, and come down;
   touch the mountains, so that they smoke.
  6 Send forth lightning and scatter the enemy;
   shoot your arrows and rout them.
  7 Reach down your hand from on high;
   deliver me and rescue me
  from the mighty waters,
   from the hands of foreigners
  8 whose mouths are full of lies,
   whose right hands are deceitful.

Psalm Commentary

Jesus – the Lord who has come down from heaven

What battles are you fighting in your life? Temptation? Anxiety? Fear? Depression? Financial battles? Health battles? Work or relationship battles?

This psalm is a plea for help before battle. The original context was probably a physical battle. However, through the lens of the New Testament, we can see it in terms of a spiritual battle. There are times when we seem to be losing ground in a spiritual battle, for example, for our nation. But, never give up!

Perhaps you are facing a frightening battle in your own life. David praises the Lord: ‘my Rock’, ‘fortress’, ‘stronghold’, ‘deliverer’, ‘my shield in whom I take refuge’ (vv.1–2).

The Lord is powerful. He is also ‘my loving God’ (v.2). He involves you in his plan; ‘he trains me to fight fair and well’ (v.1, MSG). You are a partner with God. God, of course, is the major partner but you have a part to play as well.

David goes on to say, ‘Part your heavens, O Lord, and come down… reach down your hand from on high; deliver me and rescue me’ (vv.5a,7). This is exactly what God did, which we celebrate at Christmas. The Lord Jesus came down from heaven and delivered and rescued us.

Whatever battles you are fighting today, spend time with Jesus praising him for who he is, calling on him for help and trusting him to deliver you.

Prayer

Lord, I cry out to you, my loving God – my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer, my shield, my rescuer. Lord, Help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 95: No Blessing Goes Uncontested (Psalm 41:1–6, Luke 9:57–10:24, Deuteronomy 1:1–2:23)

I Hear His Whisper..."Trust my timing."

Su devocional diario - Cómo nutrir nuestra fe