Day 31: How to Lead Like Jesus (Psalm 18:1-6, Matthew 21:1-17, Job 19:1-21:34)

Day 31: How to Lead Like Jesus (Psalm 18:1-6, Matthew 21:1-17, Job 19:1-21:34): Psalm 18:1-6 For the director of music. Of David the servant of the Lord. He sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said:   1 I love you, Lord, my strength.   2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;    my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,    my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.   3 I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,    and I have been saved from my enemies.   4 The cords of death entangled me;    the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.   5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;    the snares of death confronted me.   6 In my distress I called to the Lord;    I cried to my God for help.   From his temple he heard my voice;    my cry came before him, into his ears. Psalm Commentary A leader’s worship David was one of the greatest leaders in the history of Israel. He also wrote some of the most beautiful songs of worship ever written. Thousands of years later, his Psalms continue to be used in worship by God’s people. In this psalm, we see that David’s worship and prayer was the bedrock on which his leadership was founded. In the 

Psalm 18:1-6

For the director of music. Of David the servant of the Lord. He sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said:

  1 I love you, Lord, my strength.

  2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
   my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
   my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

  3 I called to the Lord, who is worthy of praise,
   and I have been saved from my enemies.
  4 The cords of death entangled me;
   the torrents of destruction overwhelmed me.
  5 The cords of the grave coiled around me;
   the snares of death confronted me.

  6 In my distress I called to the Lord;
   I cried to my God for help.
  From his temple he heard my voice;
   my cry came before him, into his ears.

Psalm Commentary

A leader’s worship

David was one of the greatest leaders in the history of Israel. He also wrote some of the most beautiful songs of worship ever written. Thousands of years later, his Psalms continue to be used in worship by God’s people.

In this psalm, we see that David’s worship and prayer was the bedrock on which his leadership was founded. In the midst of difficulties and opposition he says, ‘I called to the Lord, I cried to my God for help’ (v.6). The result was a great reversal in circumstances followed by success, which led David to express his thanksgiving in song.

Whether in difficulty or success, follow David’s example by seeking to build your life on the foundation of prayer and worship.

The starting point of worship is love for God: ‘I love you fervently and devotedly, O Lord, my Strength’ (v.1, AMP). David goes on to express his love, praise and thanksgiving to God. He faced enemies (v.3b), death and destruction (vv.4–5) and distress (v.6a). When he looks back he can see how God heard his cry and saved him from his enemies (vv.3–6).

For the last few years, I have written down a list of cries ‘for help’ (v.6a) in the margins of my Bible in One Year. It is amazing to see the ways in which God has heard my cry. So many of the prayers (although not all quite yet) have been answered. Keeping a record helps me not to forget to thank God.

Prayer

O Lord, my strength, thank you so much for the many times when I have called to you for help and you have heard my voice. With all the challenges ahead, again I cry to you for help…


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 95: No Blessing Goes Uncontested (Psalm 41:1–6, Luke 9:57–10:24, Deuteronomy 1:1–2:23)

I Hear His Whisper..."Trust my timing."

Su devocional diario - Cómo nutrir nuestra fe