Day 174: When Life is Difficult (Psalm 77:1–9, Acts 15:1–21, 1 Kings 9:10–11:13)

Day 174: When Life is Difficult (Psalm 77:1–9, Acts 15:1–21, 1 Kings 9:10–11:13published in 1678.


Pilgrim’s Progress is an allegory which tells the story of a person called ‘Christian’ on a journey from his hometown to the Celestial City. On the way he faces many difficulties, challenges and obstacles, yet he perseveres faithfully to the end.


A Christian life is not easy. You will face many difficulties along the way. But these need not derail you. In fact, as you go through difficult times staying close to Jesus, you will emerge stronger, wiser and more Christ-like.


Wisdom


Psalm 77:1–9


Bible


For the director of music. For Jeduthun. Of Asaph. A psalm.

1 I cried out to God for help;
   I cried out to God to hear me.
2 When I was in distress, I sought the LORD;
   at night I stretched out untiring hands,
   and I would not be comforted.


3 I remembered you, God, and I groaned;
   I meditated, and my spirit grew faint.
4 You kept my eyes from closing;
   I was too troubled to speak.
5 I thought about the former days,
   the years of long ago;
6 I remembered my songs in the night.
   My heart meditated and my spirit asked:


7 “Will the LORD reject forever?
   Will he never show his favour again?
8 Has his unfailing love vanished forever?
   Has his promise failed for all time?
9 Has God forgotten to be merciful?
   Has he in anger withheld his compassion? ”


Commentary


Distress: How should you respond?

I have a friend who is now a priest. He told me that he often begins his prayers with ‘a time of complaining’! This psalm also begins with the psalmist pouring out his complaints to God.


Having a relationship with God does not protect us from ‘distress’ (v.2). The psalmist was ‘awake all night – not a wink of sleep’ (v.4a, MSG). He feels as if God has rejected him and that he will never experience God’s favour again (vv.7–9).


In this, the first half of Psalm 77, we see how to respond to distress. You can be assured that:


1. God listens to your cry

Tell God exactly what you’re feeling: ‘I yell out to my God, I yell with all my might, I yell at the top of my lungs. He listens. I found myself in trouble and went looking for my LORD’ (vv.1–2a, MSG).


2. God likes your honesty

There is a therapeutic effect in asking honest questions. God’s people bring their doubts, difficulties and distress to God and question him. Even Jesus, on the cross, asked a question, quoting Psalm 22:1: ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’ (Matthew 27:46).


God wants you to be real with him. He does not want you to pretend that all is well. He wants to hear the cry of your heart. This draws you close to him, even in times of great distress.


Prayer


Thank you, Lord, that you hear the cry of my heart. Thank you that you do not reject me, that your promises do not fail.


New Testa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 95: No Blessing Goes Uncontested (Psalm 41:1–6, Luke 9:57–10:24, Deuteronomy 1:1–2:23)

I Hear His Whisper..."Trust my timing."

Su devocional diario - Cómo nutrir nuestra fe